The warm weather is upon us, and for most, road trips and long drives are in future plans. If you’re planning a road trip or a long drive soon, it is important to make sure that your vehicle has an emergency kit packed so that you are prepared for anything. A vehicle inspection is always recommended before a trip to make sure your vehicle is prepared, but an emergency kit can help you in situations that you may not be expecting.
An essential emergency kit for your vehicle is inexpensive and will come in handy in a variety of situations. Here’s a list of the most important things to pack in your vehicle:
- Owner’s Manual - don’t underestimate the importance of your vehicle’s owner’s manual! Make sure it’s in its home in the glove box. This can come in handy when a warning light appears on the dashboard that you are unfamiliar with.
- Jumper Cables - you never know when you might need jumper cables on hand. Even a healthy battery can die if a light is left on overnight or a problem occurs to the starting and charging system.
- Water and non-perishable snacks - getting stuck on the side of the road in the summer heat can be unbearable without water or good. Make sure to have a small container with water and non-perishable snacks that can help keep you and your family hydrated and fed in an emergency situation.
- First-Aid Kit - you never know when you might need a first-aid kit on hand, especially when the whole family is in the car.
- Blanket or towel - a blanket can be helpful if you find yourself having to sleep in the car or getting stranded at night to keep warm.
- Insurance and registration - make sure that you have your updated insurance and registration on hand at all times while driving.
- Jack, wrench, and spare tire - a tire blowout can happen at the worst of times, so having a spare tire and items to change your tire are essential.
We hope that the items listed above will help you stay prepared in any situation on the road. If you ever have a question about your vehicle or need to schedule an inspection before a road trip, give us a call or schedule an appointment online today!