Halloween is one of the most anticipated holidays of the year, especially if you are someone with a sweet tooth. Kids crave the excitement of getting dressed up in a costume, walking through a neighborhood, and receiving tons of candy. While trick-or-treating can be a blast, everyone in the community needs to do their part to make sure everyone gets home in one piece.
Tips For Pedestrians
There's nothing more important on Halloween night than to teach kids how to be safe when walking through the neighborhoods. Younger kids may not be aware of traffic rules and signs. As it gets dark outside, it can become more unsafe. Here are some tips to use on your trick-or-treating route:
- Stay on crosswalks and sidewalks as much as possible
- Make eye contact with drivers when crossing to ensure they see you
- Plan out a route beforehand
- Watch for cars making turns
- Do not step in between two parked cars
- Younger children should stick with their parents and hold an adult's hand before crossing the road
Tips For Drivers
Keeping your children safe is one thing, but keeping other kids safe is just as important.
- Plan extra time if you want to go anywhere Halloween night, considering traffic and stops for trick-or-treaters
- Make sure you are 100% focused on driving and minimize distractions
- Use your headlights even if the sun hasn't set yet
- Slow down and keep it under the speed limit!
- Peak trick-or-treating hours are between 5:30 pm and 10:00 pm, so be aware of pedestrians
Additional Safety Tips for Kids' Costumes
Aside from road safety, there are specific steps you can take (as a parent) to ensure your kids can see and are seen on Halloween night.
- Try to avoid masks that could prevent your kiddos from seeing clearly
- Add reflective materials to their costume or candy basket
- Supply them with glow sticks or flashlights to carry when it gets dark
We hope some of these tips help you and your family stay safe this Halloweekend! For extra safety, you can always bring your vehicle to us for an inspection. We invite you to give us a call or visit The Detroit Garage today!