At The Detroit Garage, we want to make sure that you and your family are kept safe on the road this winter and holiday season. While you may be in a rush to get on the road to spend time with family and loved ones, it is important to make sure that your vehicle is well maintained and prepared to drive in the winter season. The following winter vehicle maintenance tips will guide you on how to take care of your vehicle and be safe on the road through the colder months!
- Have your vehicle inspected - The best way to catch an issue early on is to have your vehicle inspected by your local trusted mechanic here at our shop. Our experts will complete a full inspection of your vehicle to ensure that all components are working properly and that all is in order to ensure your safety while driving.
- Change your windshield wiper - it is important to make sure that your windshield wipers work properly. Wipers should be replaced at least once a year. If you notice any skipping or smearing when your wipers are on, it’s time to replace them.
- Make sure your tires have tread. When driving in the rain or snow, it is vital to have good tread on your tires. Worn out tires will cause your vehicle to hydroplane and lose control over wet terrain because your tires aren’t able to grip a surface through the water. It is also important to check your tire pressure and alignment for proper control of your vehicle.
- Test your heater and defroster. Trust us - you will need these during winter driving! The heater will ensure your comfort while driving, especially during long-distance trips. Your vehicle’s defroster will be absolutely necessary for keeping your view of the road clear.
- Always be prepared. Being stranded during the winter can be brutal, especially in the cold. We recommend always being prepared with a spare tire, lug wrench, wheel wedges, a jack, a flashlight with extra batteries, and some gloves.
When driving on the road this winter and holiday season, please be safe and make sure your vehicle can handle anything. If you are in need of a repair or service, stop by the experts here at The Detroit Garage today.